The news this week took a somber turn upon hearing of the death of Steve Jobs. This week’s roundup is no different. Our features pay tribute to the man who not only made Apple one of the most valuable companies in the world, but who helped to advance innovative technology across generations.
Ironically, Jobs died the day following the iPhone 4S release. Alongside his memories, we’ve compiled resources for getting to know the newest Apple device: where to buy them, where to recycle them, what photo quality to expect, and whether you should be buying one in the first place.
There’s a whole lot more in store inside this week’s exceptionally rich roundup, so dive in:
- 10 Facebook Timeline Designs That Will Blow You Away [PICS]
We’ve picked 10 examples of Facebook Timeline cover photo designs that are truly outstanding.
- How a Blogging Duo Is Changing Fashion Photography With Animated Cinemagraphs
Jamie Beck and Kevin Burg have a unique take on fashion photography. Their “cinemagraphs” — artfully animated GIF files — are taking Tumblr by storm, and fashion brands have come calling for their talents.
- 5 Brands That Are Surprisingly Successful on Facebook
There are some huge brands that aren’t well-represented on Facebook, but here we look at smaller “sleeper” brands with huge Facebook followings.
- 15 Inspirational Steve Jobs Quotes
Steve Jobs not only changed our lives with innovative products, but also with memorable quotes.
- iPhone 4S, New iPods Siri: Everything You Need to Know About Apple’s Big Day
Just in case you didn’t take off work to follow the story tweet by tweet, here’s a handy summary of what Apple announced on Tuesday.
- Blogger Outreach: 5 Tips for Connecting With Top Influencers
Connecting your business or products with the right bloggers can really pay dividends, but it’s easier said than done. These 5 best practices will set you on the right path.
- Facebook Is Getting Too Damn Complicated [OPINION]
Unfortunately for its 800 million users, Facebook is falling victim to feature creep — and settings that are becoming increasingly complex.
- HOW TO: Subscribe to the Mashable Team on Facebook
Look us up! Here’s how to follow the Mashable team with a couple of clicks.
- Why Facebook Is Looking Past Click-Throughs to Measure Ads
Facebook’s head of measurement and insights, Brad Smallwood, tells Mashable why click-throughs are a poor measure of ad performance.
- Why Richard Branson Always Makes Time for Social Media
Between meeting with climate entrepreneurs, checking out new space vehicles and hobnobbing with pop stars, Richard Branson still finds time to tweet. We asked him why it’s so important for CEOs to stay social.
- New Facebook: What It Means for Local Marketers
The recent changes in Facebook user behavior will likely give local marketers distinct advantages over bigger, national brands. Here’s how to leverage the new features.
- Social Marketing: 3 Ways to Reach the Head-of-Household
The best marketing practices for reaching the modern day head-of-household have to be completely redefined. Here are three social tactics to learn from.
- If Google’s Management Doesn’t Use Google+, Then Why Should You?
The concept is simple: If you have confidence in your product, you use it. Perhaps somebody should tell that to Google’s senior management.
- How New Labor Guidelines Could Affect Your Social Media Policy
The National Labor Relations Board recently released a report about cases involving social media in the workplace. Here are some key takeaways as you craft your policy.
- YouTube’s 20 Most-Shared Ads This Month [VIDEOS]
Which commercials got the most traction on the social web this past September? Enjoy our list of the top 20.
- The 10 Most Quoted Tweets About Steve Jobs
Storify, a service that lets you collect tweets and other forms of media in a single embedded stream, just released a list of the 10 Steve Jobs-related tweets that have been most quoted by its users.
- Social TV: How Content Producers Can Engage Their Audiences in New Ways
Television shows are having an impact on social media, and social media is having an impact on shows. But how can producers tap into this burgeoning “intermedia” exchange?
- What Banks and Lenders Know About You From Social Media
Consumers should be aware that any public information is fair game in this economic environment, and social media may be the newest cautionary landscape.
- How the iPhone 4S Stacks Up Against the Smartphone Competition [CHART]
While the fifth-generation iPhone is certainly the most anticipated new mobile handset to hit stores this year, it is by no means the only game in town. Here’s how it compares to other leading smartphones on the market today.
- 10 Neat Nintendo Facts
How much do you know about Nintendo? We’ve collected 10 fantastic facts.
- The Significant 7: The Most Influential Phones of the Past 10 Years
We have taken a look back at some of the most significant consumer mobile phones in the last 10 years — a decade in which a huge amount has changed in the industry.
- iPhone 5: Are You a Fanboy? [INFOGRAPHIC]
In the coming days, if you don’t restrain your enthusiasm for Apple’s new product introductions, you’ll invariably be called fanboy or fangirl. Will it be justified? Here’s a self-diagnosis.
- Jeff Bezos is No Steve Jobs — But Amazon Could Be the Next Apple
Whether or not Bezos is as regarded as the former Apple CEO is immaterial. What matters: whether Amazon is poised to become the next Apple.
- Twitter Buzz: How Do You Like Windows 8 So Far? [CHART]
What do the users of the latest beta of Windows 8 think of the nascent operating system upgrade? A good way to get a feel for the overall buzz is by studying thousands of tweets.
- Top 10 Tech Stories We Almost Posted This Week [PICS]
We sniff out a boatload of tech stories every week, but this week was unusual — rich in bounty and packed with punchy techo-goodness. There were so many stories, we couldn’t even get to them all, but we didn’t want you to miss out.
- 3 New Apps for Sharing Gifts, Trips Products
This week in our weekly startup roundup, we highlight products that are helping friends share content and products.
- 3 Reasons VoIP Phones Make Sense for Small Businesses
With cutting-edge functionality, easy-to-use features and an enhanced customer support experience, VoIP is especially suited to the needs of small business.
- Would An iPhone 4S Be Such A Disappointment?
An iPhone 4S might disappoint Apple fans for a short while — but they will stand in line for weeks in front of the Apple store, as they invariably do.
- HOW TO: Reduce the Spam in Your Inbox, Mailbox and Voicemail
Tired of unwanted marketing messages in your digital and analog inboxes? Here are some steps for cutting down on the dreaded spam.
- 2012 Election: 3 Digital Platforms Poised to Change the Conversation
Each of these platforms for user engagement offers a new way to empower voters and activists, making 2012 a cycle of tremendous potential.
- iPhone History: The Story So Far [INFOGRAPHIC]
Get ready for chapter 5 of Life and Times of the iPhone — by brushing up on the history of the device.
- How Apple’s Event Invites Hint at What’s to Come [PICS]
We take a look at 10 Apple event invites to see if they hinted at what was actually announced.
- The New iPhone Is Coming and I Don’t Want It
I’m guessing that many of you are, like me, thinking about trading in your still shiny, still powerful, still effective Apple iPhone 4 for a new Apple iPhone.
- iPhone 4S: When and Where You’ll Be Able to Get It [PICS]
Details about when the iPhone 4S will be available, its carriers and price.
- iPhone 5 A No-Show: Did Apple Fail To Manage Expectations?
The iPhone 4S is merely an iPhone 4 with more advanced innards. This isn’t the must-have device that a redesigned iPhone 5 would have been.
- HOW TO: Trade in Your Old iPhone
Trading in your old iPhone for cash is easy, but act fast because it’s losing value by the minute.
- Apple’s iPhone Event: Three Big Reasons It Still Mattered
Apple’s iPhone 4s unveiling today at Apple’s Corporate Campus, feel a little like a non-event. That’s too bad, because I counted at least three important stories coming out of Cupertino today.
- iPhone 4S: 4 Reasons to Upgrade
Don’t let the name fool you — the iPhone 4S is every bit the radical technological innovation you’ve been waiting for.
- The 20 Most-Shared iPhone Ads [VIDEOS]
As Apple prepares a new round of promotion for the iPhone 4S, we take a look at the most-shared iPhone ads of the past.
- New iPhone Blues: Why Apple’s CEO Doesn’t Care What You Hoped to See
The iPhone 4S was a single rather than a home run. But that’s good enough for Tim Cook, who has his eye on the pennant rather than the fans.
- 7 Tech Breakthroughs That Empower People With Disabilities
These high-tech assistive devices are making some limitations of disabled people a thing of the past.
- 5 Tips for Improving Your Product Landing Pages
It is important for online marketers to create fully optimized landing pages so that users are more inclined to engage — and purchase. Here are some tips.
- New iPhone Questions: 10 Things We Still Don’t Know
Will Sprint iPhones get unlimited data plans? Does Siri work as advertised? Will we ever see an iPhone 5? We pose the big head-scratchers.
- Will Apple Cards Reshape the Greeting Card Industry?
Did Apple’s Cards app news surprise you? It shouldn’t have. Here’s why, with comment from industry insiders.
- Steve Jobs: 1955 – 2011
Steve Jobs, the co-founder and chairman of Apple, died October 5, 2011.
- Steve Jobs Remembered: 10 of His Most Magical Moments [VIDEO]
With Apple announcing that its iconic founder had died, we wanted to take a look back at some of the most memorable moments from his career.
- Memories Of Steve Jobs: Interviews Inspiration
Jobs was always compelling. His enormous passion for a product was unrivaled in any industry, before or since. Here’s how I encountered him.
- Mourners Create Impromptu Memorials for Steve Jobs at Apple Stores [PICS]
Many have ventured to their local Apple Stores to leave personalized notes, flowers, candles and even bitten apples. We’d like to share some photos of Steve Jobs memorials.
- In Memoriam: Letters to Steve Jobs
Letters left for Steve Jobs at Apple’s flagship store in New York City.
- How an iPad Browser Could Change the Way You Search
The search bar tries hard, but it’s just never reached its potential for efficiently finding information on touch devices. Kikin founder Carlos Bhola hopes to replace it with a “touch to learn” contextual search that opens within the page.
- The Life Times of Steve Jobs
Steve Jobs had an extraordinary career that spanned more than thirty-five years. Here’s a look at his accomplishments.
- iPhone 4S Camera: A Quick Look at What’s New [PICS]
One area in which the iPhone 4S has gotten a major update is its camera. All-new specs have led Apple to dub the upgraded snapper the “you-can’t-believe-it’s-on-a-phone-camera.”
- iPhone 4S: Should You Choose ATT, Verizon or Sprint?
Here are some factors to consider when choosing among ATT, Verizon and Sprint.
- 10 Best Live Multiplayer Games for iPhone
The App Store is full of games that can help satisfy that desire to crush your opponent in real time. Check out these 10 great apps.
- Without Steve Jobs: The Pixar Story
What would have happened to all those beloved films and characters if Steve Jobs had not supported Pixar in the early days?
- One More Thing: Classic Steve Jobs Surprise Announcements
It’s a good time to remember all the nice surprises Steve Jobs gave us over the years.
- iPhone 4S Cases: 15 Fresh Designs [PICS]
We’re always on the lookout for striking iPhone cases, and as the 4S goes on sale, we thought we’d compile a roundup of designs that have caught our eye recently.
- Product Development: 9 Steps for Creative Problem Solving [INFOGRAPHIC]
Sometimes the business world’s focus on critical thinking does a disservice to the value of creative thinking. These 9 steps are key to success in new product development.
- Hot Tips For Landing Jobs at Google, Apple and Facebook [INFOGRAPHIC]
Here are tips for landing a coveted job at one of the tech giants.
- 10 Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Digital PR Consultant
With the increased demand for social media marketing, consultants who can integrate traditional and digital communication strategies to deliver stronger results are in high demand. Here’s how the find the right one for your company.
- Facebook’s New Advertising Strategy Is Brilliant and Unexpected
After some false starts, Facebook has finally figured out how to evolve social media advertising.
- HOW TO: Leverage LinkedIn for Your SEO Campaign
Smart link building is all about making connections to real people, and blogger outreach is key. Here’s how to find and connect with the best writers via LinkedIn.
- How Magazines Are Adapting to the Mobile Revolution
Magazine editors discuss early lessons from tablet publishing, and the challenges of extending their content to a proliferating number of tablet sizes and platforms.
- How Kraft Updated Macaroni Cheese for the Twitter Age
Kraft’s recent “You know you love it” campaign took to the social web to remind consumers that Mac Cheese isn’t just for kids. Was it a success?
- How StumbleUpon Went From Humble Browser Plugin to Social Juggernaut
Mashable spoke with StumbleUpon CEO Garrett Camp about the startup’s evolution from apartment project to dominant web presence, its impending international expansion and why young entrepreneurs should stay in school.
- The Secret to Achieving 3X Better Fundraising Results [INFOGRAPHIC]
Are you ready to learn the secret of a successful fundraising campaign? A combination of targeting potential donors online and offline, simultaneously.
- The Rise of the Distributed Agency Model
The Internet makes the remote work force a viable alternative to costly office space and equipment. What does it take for a business to succeed as a distributed team?
Image courtesy of Webtreats Etc.
Article source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Mashable/~3/iutcg9lyH0c/