Notice something different in the air? No, it’s not hordes of people rushing out to buy Valentine’s Day presents — we’ve added a section to our weekly roundup.
We’re still bringing you all the tools and resources from the past week or so, but we’ve also combed through to pull out some of the best, most useful, or most interesting reads as collected by our editors. These include stories on the smart grid, a guide to Facebook privacy, and a break down of how 3D technology actually works.
Looking for even more social media resources? This guide appears every weekend, and you can check out all the lists-gone-by here any time.
- Facebook Privacy: 10 Settings Every User Needs to Know
We’ve entered Facebook’s maze of privacy options and came out on the other side bruised, battered, but with 10 essential settings in our hands. Disregard them at your own peril!
- How Social Media Will Make the Smart Energy Grid More Efficient
Web-enabled electric meters and appliances are part of the new smart grid. With the added layer of social media, we’re seeing a new level comparison and competition.
- HOW TO: Run a Global Charity Event From Your Laptop
Twestival is possible thanks to a suite of online tools, a little missed sleep, and an enthusiastic team of global do-gooders. Here’s a behind-the-scenes look at how it all happens.
- How Does 3D Technology Work?
From films to TVs to gaming, 3D is big right now. But how does this technology get your brain to “see” a screen in three dimensions?
- How an Online Game Plans to Reward Kids for Playing Outside
By connecting physical sports equipment with its new online world, FunGoPlay is hoping to curb childhood obesity and encourage young athletes.
- 10 Online Resources for Free, Legal Music
We’ve gathered together 10 resources for scoring tunes online for merely a song.
- Top 10 Most Shared Super Bowl Ads Of All Time [VIDEO]
Excitement for Super Bowl XLV is upon up — football, the halftime show, and of course, the commercials. These are the most shared Super Bowl ads ever.
- Guitar Hero Gone: What Went Wrong?
The plastic guitar game just flamed out. Activision is set to shutter the division that created Guitar Hero and its sequels.
- What Is 4G? An FAQ On Next Generation Wireless
We’ve sifted through the buzzwords, technical overviews and acronyms to distill the facts about 4G and what it means for consumers.
- 7 Years of Facebook: A Retrospective
Mashable created this gallery to highlight the biggest Facebook events (and controversies) over the years.
- Fun With Twitter: 5 iPhone Games Made of Tweets
If you thought Twitter couldn’t get any more fun, think again. These clever games turn tweets into puzzles, points and obstacles.
- Why Fashion’s Top Brands Are Flocking to Tumblr
A look at the Tumblr strategies of fashion brands and retailers, including Kate Spade, Oscar de la Renta, Alexander McQueen, Ann Taylor and ModCloth.
- Which Films Captured the Most Twitter Buzz During the Super Bowl? [INFOGRAPHIC]
The Twitterverse was giving ample attention to TV spots advertising upcoming films.
- Watch Every Super Bowl XLV Ad [VIDEO]
Here’s a gallery of 60+ Super Bowl ads.
- Why Virtual Worlds Play an Important Role in the Changing Arab World
Virtual worlds like Second Life have increasingly become a place for Arabs to gather, speak their minds, and protest.
- Top 10 Funny YouTube Videos About Twitter
We’ve scoured YouTube to bring you 10 funny Twitter-themed videos. From parody to satire to the downright silly, click here for some LOLs from the Twitterverse.
- HOW TO: Follow New York Fashion Week Online
We’ve gathered together the best online resources to help you follow New York Fashion Week on your social platform of choice.
- How Premium Fashion Brands Are Maximizing Their Social Media ROI
What are luxury brands doing to boost revenue streams from the social web? Check out these tactics from the likes of Marc Jacobs and DKNY.
- #TypeNerdyToMe: Top 5 Valentine One-Liners [PICS]
Mashable asked readers to submit their best nerdy valentine lines. We’ve chosen and designed the five best entries, which can be viewed in this gallery.
- 7 Ways Print Magazines Are Using Social Media to Engage Readers
Many print publications have been able to keep the conversation going beyond the page with social platforms. Here’s how they’re succeeding.
- Watson vs. Jeopardy: The Early Years [COMIC]
Watson’s computational development was a slow and arduous process. In the early days, he just wasn’t all that good at Jeopardy.
- 7 Free Music Playlists for Valentine’s Day
Here are 7 playlists to suit your romantic mood — whether it be bitter or sweet.
- HANDS ON: HTC Inspire 4G Is a First For ATT [PICS]
The first 4G phone using the ATT wireless network is about to arrive, and we have one here for testing. I’m impressed with the hardware, but not with ATT.
- 10 Stunning iPhone Sports Photographs [GALLERY]
For our latest iPhotography gallery, we’ve looked to the wonderful world of sport, with some action-packed snaps and some careful studies in texture and light.
- The iPhone Ad War: ATT vs. Verizon
Verizon and ATT are already starting a back-and-forth in ads over the iPhone.
- 5 Tech Advances That Are Transforming Digital Entertainment
What technology has changed the way we experience digital entertainment? Read on for five picks that promise to do just that.
- 5 Decadent iPhone Apps for Chocolate Lovers
Just in time for Valentine’s Day, these iPhone apps will whet your appetite for this sweet seductress.
- HOW TO: Transfer Your Blog From WordPress.com to WordPress.org [VIDEO]
This screencast will guide you through the process of moving your content from a WordPress.com account to a self-hosted solution.
- 10 Free iPhone Apps for a More Romantic Valentine’s Day
If you’re planning a special night, these free apps can help you take your romance game to the next level.
- Engineering Intelligence: Why IBM’s Jeopardy-Playing Computer Is So Important
IBM’s Watson supercomputer will compete with Jeopardy champions next week, and it has a good shot at winning. We spoke with Stephen Baker, who chronicled Watson’s development, about this comp-sci achievement.
- Why Microsoft Is Nokia’s Last Best Hope [OPINION]
Microsoft may have been Nokia’s only option, but it is far from a guarantee of success. Still, here’s why these two computing giants are a good fit.
- Are Cover Letters Still Relevant For Social Media and Tech Jobs?
Here’s a look at why you may not want to send a cover letter, why it could still be useful to send one, and how to optimize your approach for social media and tech positions.
- Social Media: The Final Piece of the Super Bowl Advertising Puzzle
In 2011, it’s not enough to drop $3 million on a great Super Bowl spot. You’ve got to port that engagement over to the online world.
- 5 Tips to Strengthen Your Company’s Social Media Voice
When it comes to social media, even big brands need to have personality. These 5 tips will spark some better online conversations.
- HOW TO: Be a Better Coworker
When your offices mates are all working toward different goals and projects, the etiquette can get a bit muddled. Check out these proven tips for keeping the peace in a shared workspace.
- HOW TO: Optimize Your Social Media Budget
Inspired by Alitimeter Group’s recent report, check out this guide to budgeting for corporate social media programs, as based on a program’s maturity.
- How Brands Can Make the Most of Facebook’s New Pages
What do the new Facebook Pages mean for brands? We’ve laid out a guide to the changes that affect the way companies interact on the social network.
Image courtesy of Flickr, Rosaura Ochoa
Article source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Mashable/~3/B6twAUI2IHQ/